MountainStar Family Relief Nursery's mission is to prevent child abuse and neglect through community support and therapeutic services that help vulnerable children and families succeed.
For our community:
1. We envision communities that support each parent’s efforts to nurture their children’s emotional, physical, and intellectual development in a safe environment.
2. Child abuse and neglect in Central Oregon is reduced as a direct result of our efforts.
For our organization:
1. We are supported by local communities in voice, spirit, and donations; we have the financial means to sustain a strong organization and programs.
2. We are a strong partner in the Oregon Association of Relief Nurseries and collaborate with other community agencies.
3. We are a model of effective and efficient operations and have a diverse, active board of directors.
4. We continue to hold high professional standards including quality accreditations, we base our program delivery on best practices in our field, and we evaluate our success.
5. We are connected to the children we have served and know with certainty that we are making a real and long-term difference in their lives and in the communities where they live.
1. Caring — Welcoming, trustworthy, compassionate, honest, inclusive, positive intent, fun.
2. Partnership — Invested, accessible, engaged with clients, supporters, partners, and communities.
3. Excellence — Committed to current research, innovation, best practices, accreditation, and evaluation.
4. Impact — Attend to what’s important and effective, continuous improvement, we do what we say.
MountainStar was formed in 2001 in response to the community need for comprehensive services for distressed families with very young children. This need was identified in the 10-year Deschutes County Community Plan, and MountainStar began providing services in Bend in April 2001 under the fiscal agency of the KIDS Center. MountainStar was serving 34 children per year in our Therapeutic Early Childhood Program (TECP) when we incorporated as an independent nonprofit in 2003. Today we serve over 300 children and their families each year. We've since added a Safety Net Program, Child & Family Therapy, transportation, and more.
In 2013, MountainStar welcomed Juniper Junction Relief Nursery of Madras as a satellite program, and in early 2015, we expanded to Prineville, opening the first Relief Nursery in Crook County.
Also, MountainStar has a contract partnership with the Department of Human Services/Child Welfare to provide Enhanced Visitation Services for families with children in foster care.