If you are interested in submitting your resume to us, please complete our online employment application form.
We are dedicated to helping the children and families who utilize our services. If you’re ready to make a difference, browse our openings or upload your resume and tell us your interests. We’ll consider you for future opportunities.
Open Positions with MountainStar:
Human Resources & Operations Director - Bend Campus
The Human Resources & Operations Director is an internally-focused leadership position responsible for 1) developing and maintaining strong human resource systems, 2) ensuring compliance with sound business practices, 3) supporting and developing effective teams, 4) coordinating projects in the strategic plan, and 5) developing an organizational culture based on our values. The Human Resources & Operations Director has strong leadership and management skills, extensive work experience and/training in human resources, and a familiarity with work in early childhood education and helping families living in traumatic circumstances. This position reports to the Executive Director and is located in Bend, Oregon.
About Us and Our Values: MountainStar Family Relief Nursery is a 501c3 nonprofit operating in Crook, Deschutes and Jefferson counties. Our mission is to prevent child abuse and neglect through community support and therapeutic services that help vulnerable children and families succeed. Services include early childhood classes emphasizing social‐emotional development, home visits, supervised visits for children in foster care, and other family supports. Our values are:
- Caring – welcoming, trauma‐informed, trustworthy, compassionate, honest, and fun.
- Partnership – invested, accessible, and engaged with clients, supporters, partners, and communities.
- Excellence – committed to high‐quality programs, current research, innovation, best practices, accreditation, and evaluation.
- Impact – attend to what is important and effective, continuous improvement, we do what we say.
- Inclusiveness – seek out and value diverse perspectives, understand and address systemic barriers.
Essential Job Functions:
Human Resources: Lead manager for MountainStar’s Human Resource systems including recruitment, selection, and employment; personnel planning and staff development; equal opportunity; and employee relations. Manages diversity, equity and inclusion team. Advises staff on policy and procedures, progressive counseling, and conflict resolution. Maintains personnel files. Works closely with leadership team members on Human Resource initiatives.
Operations: Responsible for internal business functions including risk management, agreements and contracts, communications, information technology, facilities and vendors. Implements policies and procedures to ensure secure, reliable, efficient and inclusive work environments for staff. Supervises administrative support staff.
Internal Teams & Project Management: Coordinates the work of MountainStar teams to facilitate communication, remove barriers, improve team member satisfaction, and increase overall productivity. Works with Executive Director to support the board of directors in their work. Leads work with community advisory boards.
As a member of the leadership team, the Human Resources & Operations Director is charged with helping to carry out the mission, vision, values, goals and objectives in the strategic plan. The team meets regularly to assess conditions, manage strategic initiatives, prioritize actions, maintain staff morale, and coordinate work across the organization.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 4-6 years of successful work experience in a leadership role within community-based, social-service nonprofits including specific experience providing support for business operations.
- Experience and specialized training in human resources including knowledge of standard employment practices and policies, and familiarity with Oregon personnel law.
- Exceptional organizational skills with an ability to lead and manage people, teams and programs; work independently; think strategically and contribute as a member of the leadership team.
- Strong understanding of cultural competence, unconscious biases, educational disparity issues, and structural challenges to family success, and the leadership skills to further develop MountainStar’s effectiveness in these areas.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in addition to expertise with computers and an aptitude for team collaboration software.
- BA/BS degree preferred.
- Able to relate sensitively and non‐judgmentally to young children and families living in high‐ stress, chaotic situations who may be experiencing on‐going crises and trauma.
- Able to support staff doing emotionally challenging work and respond to crises when they occur.
- Represent the organization to community members and support their ownership of our mission and services.
- Valid driver’s license and able to pass criminal background check.
Salary Range + Benefits: This is a full‐time, exempt position with a salary range of $61,000 to $66,000 plus competitive benefits.
You can always make a difference to the little ones we serve by volunteering. This is a great way to explore if our organization would fulfill your career objectives, and to show us what you've got! Visit our volunteer page to discover opportunities that may be of interest to you.